erectile dysfunction (ED) - Riverside Urology - Ken Takesita, M.D.
An increasingly common and vastly under-treated condition, erectile dysfunction (ED) is the inability of a man to maintain an erection suitable for sexual intercourse.
According to the National Institute of Health, as many as 30 million men suffer from erectile dysfunction. It is estimated erectile dysfunction affects:
- 12 percent of men younger than 60
- 22 percent of men between ages 60 and 69
- 30 percent of men older than 70
Psychological conditions such as depression, anxiety, and stress can reduce the ability to sustain an erection, as can heart disease, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, smoking, and obesity. Whatever the cause of your impotence, managing your emotions such as guilt or loss of self-confidence that accompany the condition can be difficult and also take a toll on your health and your relationships.
Mission Urology offers erectile dysfunction treatment options including:
- Lifestyle change consultation
- Prescription injections
- Vacuum erection devices
- Oral drug therapy with Cialis®, Viagra®, or similar medications
- Erectile dysfunction surgery including penile prosthesis implantation:
- Initial placement as well as complex revision procedures
- Length restoration with prosthesis for men with Peyronie’s disease or after radical prostate removal
To determine a cause and treatment options, physicians evaluate a patient’s detailed medical history and look for obvious causes such as medications known to be linked to erectile dysfunction. Physicians then take into account the patient’s lifestyle, such as smoking and illicit drug use, which can affect a man’s ability to obtain an erection. Other health conditions are addressed as well. Medical history is important. For example, a man who has a history of decreased sex drive may have deficient production of the male hormone testosterone.
Don’t let embarrassment keep you from getting ED treatment any longer. It is a medical condition, and treatment can help you live a longer, more sexually satisfying life. Call us today at (951) 276-4505 or request an appointment online to visit our Riverside, CA office.